Monday, April 25, 2011

I brought my heart to San Francisco..

So much is happening right now with life but I wanted to give San Francisco a post all its own since really, it deserves it.


With my family living in Utah, most of my PTO at work goes to visiting those lovely people which is wonderful but leaves very little time for Jered and I to take trips just the two of us, so we decided to go crazy and take two days off of work and play in San Fran!!

Day 1
We decided to drive up the scenic route by taking the 101 and stopped in Solvane (Solvang?) this cutest little village that is straight from Denmark complete with tons of adorable shops, restaurants and Danish folks.  We tried the famous Danish Pancakes and then went into a bakery to try their more famous Ebelskivers and found out that Ebelskivers and Danish Pancakes were the same thing!  They were delicious none the less and Solvane totally deserves to be famous for them. 

We got to our hotel about 9:00 that night and got settled in.  We booked the cheapest hotel we could find and at $33 a night we brought our own sheets and expected to find peeling wall paper and a stained bath tub. Instead, we were totally surprised

I guess I should have made the bed before I took this but you get the gist.  Clean, remodeled quant, it was like a little tiny bedroom with a maid that cleaned up after us!  I couldn't believe how nice it was!

DAY 2
The next day we just spent exploring the city.  It was so fun because Jered had never been to a big city other than LA and he loved seeing all the cool stuff a big city like that brings.  We walked like 27 miles at least that day went from one end of the city to the other to the most ghetto to the fancy smansy from China town to the financial district to the Warf to back again... we saw it all! My two favorite things that day were getting these rings made:
and accidently finding the most gorgeous flower show going on at Macys

Real flowers inside those ball things. Incredible!! 


I REALLY hope this video finally worked because this is Jered and I at the top of this 37 story building scared out of our white because of how insanely fast the elevator went.  SERIOUSLY FREAKY. But also sooo fun.

DAY 3
We rented bikes all the way down at Pier 40 (the farthest possible pier from the Golden Gate Bridge but all in the name of saving money) and rode along the shore stopping at an amazing Saturday morning Farmer's Market at the Ferry Building and at Fisherman's Warf to eat yummy clam chowder and fish and chips.



Then we continued our trek to the bridge and rode across it which was no easy feat.  The wind was blowing like 1,000 miles per hour and I had to fight to stay on my bike.  I loved the bike ride up to the bridge but as soon as we got on that thing.. I was ready to be done. It felt like any minute my tire was gonna blow out from under me.. no me gusta.  BUT once we got to the other side and Jered talked me into getting back onto my bike that I'd left on the ground for dead, we had a lovely ride into Salsalito and spent the afternoon there and took the ferry back.  Over all.. WAY fun day.  Seeing the city on a bike is such a cool thing to do. love

Day 4
Sunday was mostly driving day but we stopped at Muirwoods on our way home, kind of (they're  like 45 min the opposite direction) to take in some nature before heading back to the OC and fell in love..those things are incredible!.. anytime I have to strain my neck and almost fall over to see the top of a tree, that thing automatically gets a lot of respect from me! 

It was so fun going up there just me and the Boo.  It made me excited for the many more trips like that to come!  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your wonderful trip! I'm so glad you had such a great time. With so many amazing places close to home, who needs Europe?!? The travel bug is an infectious one, with no satiation : )

    ReplyDelete